Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Friday, March 4, 2011

Trip to the Hospital

We had little scare this week! They thought that I had a seizure while I was at work on Wednesday. I was having a normal day at work. I was feeling like my normal self. About 11:00 I started to feel very nauseated. I got up to go get some crackers and a sprite. I couldn't make it down the hallway. I started to feel very dizzy and to see dots. I got the attention of another nurse and she sat me down in a chair. The last thing I remember was telling them that I felt like I was going to pass out. When I woke back up there were 10 people standing around me. They all started asking me if I had ever had a seizure before. I said, "NO WHY?" The nurse looked at me and said well we are pretty sure you just had one. They said that my eyes rolled back in my head and I started having convulsions. They called my OB and she said to take me to the Baptist ER immediately. They also called Phillip and asked him to come up to my work. He was a nervous wreck. He beat me to the ER at Children's. By the time they got me down there he was waiting on me. He took me to the Baptist ER. They ran a lot of test. I was so worried about Dawson. I just kept asking them to please do an Ultrasound and make sure he was ok. They just kept telling me that they needed to make sure that I was ok first. They did an EKG and CT scan that both came back normal. All of my blood work looked normal. Then a labor and delivery nurse came to assess me. We got to hear Dawson's heart beat which was so reassuring! His heart beat was strong and steady! I also had an Ultrasound done just to make sure everything was ok. Dawson looked great! He was kicking around like nothing had ever even happened. He is measuring 24wks which is a week ahead of what I actually am. They estimated that he weighs approximately 1 lb 8oz! I was so very relieved to know that everything was good with him. But the ER doctor and my OB decided that they wanted to keep me over night to monitor Dawson and me. They also wanted me to meet with a Neurologist to determine if  he thinks that I did have a seizure. I was pretty sad that I had to spend the night. I was exhausted from being in the ER for six hours and being transported from test to test and I was pretty nervous that they wanted to watch me over night. It made me think that they thought something was really wrong. We finally got to our room around 6:45 Wednesday night. They gave me an Ambien to help me sleep but I don't think either one of us slept very well. Around 8:00 the next morning they took me for an EEG to take a better look at my brain. Right before the EEG I had another episode. I felt the exact same way that I had the previous day before I passed out. I felt so bad because Phillip was in the room with me and I did not want him to have to see me like that. I knew that he would be scared for life if he saw his wife laying on the examine table convulsing. But thankfully I did not pass out this time. After the EEG was complete they rushed me back to the Labor and Delivery floor and actually moved me to a room that was closer to the nurses station so they could monitor us more closely. I was pretty shook up after this episode because I was really hoping that this would be a one time thing. We were told that the Neurologist would be around soon to let us know the results of the test. It was a long day! We didn't see the Neurologist until 3:00 Thursday afternoon. He did a neurological examine on me and decided that he does not think that I had a seizure. My EEG was normal. He said that sometimes when you pass out you can have symptoms like a seizure because your brain is without oxygen. I was out for about 30 seconds which is a long time when you are staring at someone who is convulsing. He diagnosed me with pregnancy induced syncope. He thinks that I might have been a little dehydrated and that I stood up to quickly and my blood pressure could not adjust. We were so relived to know that I did not have a seizure. I still have to be very careful about not moving around too fast especially going from sitting to standing.  We were discharged home about 5:30 Thursday evening. Phillip stayed home with me again today to make sure that I am taking it easy. He has been absolutely wonderful. I can't imagine going through all of this without him. We don't have any plans this weekend. We are just going to take it easy and get some rest. Thanks so much for all of the text and calls these past couple of days. We appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers. We also enjoyed everyone's company that came to visit us at the hospital. We are so lucky to have such wonderful family and friends. Here's a picture of me at the hospital. Phillip thought we needed to document our little trip.

1 comment:

  1. ok so you know that I have my weird morning sickness that i have had my entire life. Well i pass out more than a normal person should and i always start convulsing. but they say it is never a seizure either. Thankfully. I am glad you are feeling better. You look great!

    ReplyDelete